Leaving this place is not easy-both physically and emotionally. I have fallen in love with this beautiful archipelago and would jump at a chance to stay longer (several groups are staying for the extension to Machu Picchu).
The steps involved in leaving the Galapagos islandsare numerous because this ship cannot dock anywhere and everything has to be brought on and off via the small Zodiac boats. Interestingly, everything we ate came over on the plane ride with us.
We began disembarking the ship at 8:00 am but because of delays with transportation (such as repairing of the runways) we didn't get off the islands and arrive in Guayaquil until around 4:00 pm. I was still feeling the movement of the ship. I think this will be happening for days. We spent the night at our hotel in Guayaquil and tried to get some much needed rest before our 2:00 pm direct flight to JFK on Sunday. Sunday was the first day this vacation that we didn't get a wake up call before 7:00.
We finally arrived in NYC at 10:00 pm but didn't arrive to my mom's place in CT until 2:00 am because of customs, etc. We head back to New York late Monday morning.
Adios Galapagos! Nos divertimos muchisimo!
P.S. Many of you will be happy to know that I never got a chance to taste the guinea pig (cuy). Upon further investigation, I found out that is only served in the mountainous areas such as Quito. My daughter was definitely relieved.
What a great journal and a magical trip!! You should really share this with the faculty. It is an incredible trip!
ReplyDeleteNancy